Friday, September 12, 2008

Toronto Traffic Report hahaha

This just in... I have no desire to own a car in Toronto. Between gas and parking, it just doesn't make sense. Now a new element has been added to the mix of reasons why not to own a car here. Of ALL the places on the planet that I have lived, I have NEVER witnessed as many vehicle collisions in any given period of time than I do here in downtown Toronto.

Yes, that's right folks, if the cars are not hitting bicyclists, then they are hitting other cars and even other pedestrians like myself on a daily basis... amazing.

Last night after a particularly long 13hrs of work, I hopped on a streetcar and couldn't wait to get home to just chill and do nothing. The streetcar drops me off at the intersection just in front of my building so it's super convenient. So I was standing at the street car stop waiting for the traffic light to change so I could cross. The lights changes, the cars stopped and the little white man made his appearance to tell me I could start crossing so myself and this other girl started walking... all of a sudden I hear this engine that sounds like it has ZERO intention to stop so I looked up and noticed the lights coming and again... it was not going to stop. My gut reaction kicked in at that point as I stopped in my tracks and took a giant step back. This girl was about 2 paces ahead of me and even though she was a stranger I was ready to reach out and pull her back as well (but luckily she saw the same things happening so she stopped as well) and we both stopped JUST IN TIME to miss being completely blown away by this car that was blowing a red light.

Unfortunately, a white car that was crossing the street at the same time that we were, since he had the Green and all... was not so lucky... Not 5 feet away from me and this other girl (who I later learned was named Stephanie) these 2 cars creamed each other. There's nothing scarier than seeing and hearing the impact of two cars traveling at a pretty high speed, crashing into each other, while standing like 5 feet away.

The first reaction was to walk over to find out if everyone was ok but that's when you realize that obviously they are going to want you to stick around to be a witness, fill out police statements and all that jazz... so it was at that moment that I realized that I wasn't going to get into bed too early that night afterall. LOL

Thank god everyone was ok. It could have been much worse. Some things to note:
- The guy hit (Mr. Andrew) wanted to sell his car soon but now is out of luck...since the damage is enough to deter any buyer but not enough to write off completely.
- The guy who blew the red light had his poor mother in the car with him. Like huh? Am I the only person who drives like there is a baby in the car when their mother is in the car...with extra caution?
- The intersection is quite busy so I'm still baffled about how you miss a red light there...
- The night turned out to be one of the most random and memorable for me in a long time as the three victims in this scene decided to calm our nerves by gathering for a drink... hours later we were still drinking and talking and turns out accidents are a great way to meet nice and interesting people.

So it's official... it doesn't matter if I'm on a bike (as most of you know that I was recently run down by a car on my bike) or on my feet... I'm just not safe with cars in Toronto! hahaha

Hell, have you ever seen a TTC streetcar plow into a car here? I have... amazing.

No comments: