Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Recurring Dreams

This morning I woke up and realized that I have had the same recurring dream for a REALLY long time. Each dream might not be identical - the people I'm with or without may change - but the synopsis is to the T every time.

I am usually on a beach in the most random of places, like I could be in a parking lot one second of an old neighborhood that I lived in when all of a sudden the lot cuts off into a cliff and at the bottom of the cliff is a beach...that I'm on. I'm having fun at the beach for a while when all of a sudden these MASSIVE tidal waves begin to lap onto shore. Some people make it and scatter away unharmed and some get caught and drift away I'm sure, but I'm always clinging to something, like a rock or a pole or something... and I always make it and have to stay clinging and holding my breath periodically as massive wave after wave crashes over me. Last night specifically I was on a beach that I didn't recognize at all and can remember laying out some clothes to change into on the sand and when I went over to tell someone that I was going to change and leave, when I pointed to my clothes, suddenly they were underwater and that's when I looked up and realized the tide had come in and these huge tsunami-like waves were approaching in the far distance, swallowing up a whole bunch of boats on the way and sure enough I clung to the side of a building as the water slammed into me repeatedly.

The funny thing is that this morning was the very first time that when i woke up, I remembered having MANY dreams that were REALLY similar to this in the past. I just never connected that it was a recurring dream until this morning. So when I got to a computer, I looked up the meaning of waves in dreams and here is what DreamMoods.com has to say about:

Recurring Dreams

Most dreams contain messages that serve to teach us something about ourselves. Unfortunately many a times we forget what we dream about as we go about our daily routine. With recurring dreams, the message may be so important and/or powerful that it just will not go away. The frequent repetition of such dreams forces you to pay attention and confront the dream. The dream is trying desperately to tell you something. Such dreams are often nightmarish or frightening in their content, which also helps you to take notice and pay attention to them.

Recurring dreams are quite common and are often triggered by a certain life situation or a problem that keeps coming back again and again. There is usually little variation in the dream content itself. The repetitive patterns in your dream can reveal some of the most valuable information on yourself. It may point to a conflict, situation or matter in your waking life that remains unresolved or unsettled. Or some urgent underlying message in your unconscious is demanding to be understood.


Waves

To hear waves crashing in your dream, indicates tenderness and relaxation.
It also brings about feelings of sensuality and sexuality.

To dream that you are caught in a tidal wave, signifies the strength of your emotions.


HHmmmm - something to think about...

No comments: