Sunday, March 8, 2009

Staatsoper - Vienna - Free Ballet!

On Friday I decided to go to this place. The Stattsoper is an operahouse which stages ballets and operas from around the world on an almost daily basis. There is a whole lot of history here. In fact, I later learned that part of it was bombed in the past (during the war) and rebuilt to be the beauty it is. I decided that I had never seen a ballet in my life (although I think when I was REALLY young in New York I may have seen the nutcracker – but that doesn’t count cause I barely remember it) so now was the time. When I walked into this place I realized 1. The Ballet was a big deal. Man am I glad that I actually dressed up. The place was packed with people wearing their finest. 2. Everything is German. Not even an English sign that said Tickets Sold Here or something could be found. So as usual, I followed the masses and stood in any lineup I saw.

My eyes were wandering around at the beautiful architecture and the people around me when I found this old lady (probably in her 60’s) smiling at me. I checked to make sure she was looking at me and she walked over. I must have looked more puzzled than I thought standing in that lineup because she spotted me a mile away as a tourist. In sweet broken English she said: “Hello, I have ticket for you – you come with me.”….HUH? Considering she didn’t look like something to be too scared of, I did as she asked. She walked me over to coat check, took my coat and got it hung with hers and then walked ahead of me into the main floor….like 5 rows from the stage! Before I sat down I finally said to her “how much?” to which she replied “Free”. …. Again… HUH? She smiled and explained to me as best as she could in English why she was doing this for me as her husband joined us. From what I understood, she and her husband come with a good friend of hers often and that friend was sick that night so she was looking for someone who was alone who would want to - simply not let the ticket go to waste… must have been why she was smiling when she saw my puzzled face circling the room. It must have been obvious that I was a first-timer. LOL So holy cow! Sometimes I think I’m sitting on a lucky horse shoe! How awesome is that? I go to my first ballet in Vienna, prepared to pay a hefty fee for probably a shitty seat in the back upper balcony and I end up in FOR FREE, conversing with a sweet old couple, only a few rows away from the stage! Not bad if I may say so myself!

The show, the whole experience turned out to be awesome. In fact, as I was watching these men and women on stage defying gravity and laws of human limb movement – I started to think I may have been a ballerina in a past life. I Sooooo wanted to do what they were doing. It was so beautiful to watch and I felt like I was completely connected with the women on stage, the orchestra in front of me and the beautiful music and of course the storyline. It was an experience to remember. As I am all about experiences in life lately – check that on my list of things to do before I die. In fact, I may have to do it again and again sometime in the future, I enjoyed it that much.

No comments: