Saturday, March 7, 2009

Vienna, Austria - Continued

My time in Vienna is soon coming to an end so I’ve running around like a crazy woman in the past two days (since the conference ended) to get my time’s worth out of this trip and to soak in as much Austrian culture as possible. In the end, this culture is definitely one that I can get used to. Although, I have to say, this 6 hour time difference is getting the better of me. On the bright side, when I wake up here, it’s like 1am back home so needless to say I will have no problems going to sleep and waking up bright and early when I return. On the flip side – I’m going to be hungry for breakfast at like 3am. Ouch. Speaking of breakfast, I noticed something funny this morning. Feeling particularly jet-lagged (still, even after a week here) I decided to have a cup of coffee. As I reached for the sugar I noticed that there was another little cup thing filled with packets…not of sugar but of pills… Tylenol (I think) – at least that’s what they looked like. I thought that was pretty genius. It’s like the hotel’s way of saying “rough night? Come have breakfast with us, we’ll take care of you”. :)

Anyway, to summarize, I went to a live Ballet, a slew of Museums, Mozart’s House, the Oldest Zoo in the world (with animals that I don’t see much of in North America so that was super sweet!) and the Palaces and living quarters of the Emperors and Empresses of Vienna’s past. Like any other place I’ve visited in the world, I’ve found some things that I love (specifically with regards to food – as is usually the case) and others that I’m not so fond of (such as Austrians being amongst the people who smoke the most in the world – i.e. still smoking in bars).

Over the next few days, I will recap my experiences at many of these places and solidify why I think that Vienna is such a great city to explore! Stay tuned!

No comments: