Sunday, August 10, 2008

Biking With Cars - Part 3 - Telephone Game

Keeping the theme of my recent accident alive, here is another funny of the whole situation:

The Telephone Game

I am a work-a-haulic. Those who know me know that there is no contesting this point. I have an 800# that forwards straight to my cellphone at all times and as long as I have phone and internet connection, I am working. Well at the time of the accident, I realized that there are probably times that I should just not answer the phone.

It was about 2 hours after I was hit...when i realized that I could no longer move my arm without experiencing excruciating pain. At the time of the hit I got up and knew that my arm was stiff but the doctors say that adrenaline is high at that point so I wouldn't realize pain until later (and in actuality it was the next 2 days that were by far the worst). So I gave in about 2 hours after the accident happened and allowed my assistant to take me to the hospital. I was sitting in my lounge waiting for the car to pull up when my phone rang. I figured I could still answer calls or questions so I answered it. My colleague on the other line was going on and on about an amazing email regarding positive feedback on a project that my team recently completed. He wanted me to see the email right then and there so I told him: "I'm sorry I'm not at my computer at the moment, I was just in an accident and am on my way to the hospital..." which of course started all the questions - how / when / where / are you ok / etc.... which I answered with ease because besides a really soar arm and a shitty looking face, I was fine.

When I got to the hospital, I decided to turn the ringer on my phone off because it was ringing non-stop.

Six hours later, I exited the hospital and decided to check my phone. Of course, 95% of all the missed calls were from Panama so I figured word probably spread. I called the office back and got a hold of my client. The conversation went something like this:

Bama: Jen? Is that you? What the hell happened to you?
Me: Well, I dunno if Simon told you but I was hit by a car riding my bike earlier today so I went to the hospital to get things checked out.
Bama: Huge sigh of relief... Yea Simon told me he spoke to you so I took his word.....but who else did you talk to?
Me: Nobody...why?
Bama: Holy Cow you should have HEARD some of the things I was hearing in the office today! Somehow everyone found out that you were hurt and all hell broke loose!
Me: huh???? I don't follow...
Bama: I walked passed someone outside and they said "Hey Bama did you hear Jen got hit by a BUS!".. Then I walked into another office in another wing of the building and I heard "Hey Bama! Is it true that Jen was involved in an explosion?"... Then I get back to my office and my phone starts ringing with our clients in the U.S. talking about "Hey Bama how come you didn't tell me that Jen was involved in a hostage situation?" Holy Shit Jen! It was amazing! Worse than Ferris Bueller's Day Off! Like WTF??
Me: Laughing my ass off by now telling him to stop making me laugh so hard cause it hurts.
Bama: Seriously Jen, For a minute I was thinking you may have downplayed what happened to Simon cause I know you... you don't make a big deal of anything.
Me: No Bama... really... it was a car and my bike... i have a face that looks like I got into a fight with a boxer and a fractured elbow... I'm going to live.
Bama: Ok so no Bus?
Me: No.
Bama: No explosions?
Me: No.
Bama: No terrorists taking you hostage?
Me: LAUGHING TOO HARD TO SAY NO...
It's like the phone game you play when you're a kid! You sit in a circle and tell one person a story and get them to pass it on all the way around the circle and watch how many details change by the time the story gets back to you... AMAZING!


The moral of this story? I should not have answered my phone at all that day.... LOL

No comments: